Say goodbye to unwanted hair, ingrown hairs and 5 o’clock shadow! Our Venus Concepts IPL System is transforming hair removal by using advanced technology to permanently reduce unwanted hair on the face and body. Treatment is performed once every 4 – 8 weeks depending on the area we are treating. 6-12 treatments may be required to get a great permanent reduction..
Intense pulse light (IPL) uses light based technology to selectively treat hair in order to reduce the amount of growth on particular areas of the body and face. With our IPL energy is absorbed by the hair follicle converting the light to heat and causing either destruction or damage to the follicle.
At Platinum we recommended between 6-8 treatments but after thorough consult your clinician will create a personalised treatment plan. There are other considerations that need to be taken into account when our team develop a treatment plan specifically for you achieving significant clearance of unwanted hair :
- Type of hair; Over our body we are surrounded by two different hair types, the most successful reduction is on hairs that are darker this is due to the IPL device attraction to the pigment within the follicle (melanin) compared to light hairs which have less absorption.
- The stage of growth; Hair growth goes through a cycle with three main stages, Anagen, Telagen and Catagen. Anagen is the phase of hair growth with light based therapies are effective in treating the hair follicle. Due to the fact that not all hairs growing at the same time multiple treatments are needed to ensure successful reduction.
Some absolute contraindications before any IPL light based treatment includes
- Sun exposure 2 weeks prior to treatment
- Fake Tan
- Medication that is a contraindication to light based mechanisms
- Darker skin types
- Recent resurfacing treatments local to hair removal site
Located in Port Melbourne, the PLATINUM team understand the love for our beautiful beaches. It is for this reason we recommend a full skin check to be completed prior to any area of hair removal or light based therapy.
All treatments have potential risks and your dermal clinician will cover these during your consultation and before each treatment.
Once the treatment is complete you may experience any of these normal and expected side effects;
- Residual heat on treated area
- Erythema and potential redness
- Feeling of sunburn
- Pigment changes
Should you experience any other side effects such as blistering, please contact the clinic on 9687311.
Before your hair removal treatment there are some simple tasks that should be completed 12/24 hour prior to all Hair removal treatments;
- Please ensure the skin is cleaned and exfoliating prior ensuring there is no residual fake tan is present on the skin.
- No other treatment is to be performed on the skin prior to treatment unless cleared with dermal clinician.
- No topical moisturisers, creams, perfumes deodorants are applied to the skin the day of hair removal treatment
- 24 hours prior to treatment, the area needs to be shaved. Shaving is the only appropriate hair removal to be undertaken during series of treatment - waxing, plucking and epilating will only decrease the clearance that is possible with each treatment.
It is also recommended a skin/mole check is undertaken by your local GP or dermatologist prior to treating any areas that have visible lesions.
At Platinum we recommend no exercise or tanning products for at least 48 hours post treatment. Sun exposure should be avoided completely but we do understand the beach lifestyle at Port Melbourne is very enticing so always ensure you follow sun safety precautions, especially applying SPF 50+.